Under usual circumstances, Minnesota Roller Derby holds open tryouts in the spring for skaters 18+. In observance of COVID-19 social distancing recommendations for both Minnesota and the WFTDA, things are going to be different this year. Stay tuned, we'll be sure to post updates as they are available!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the recruits message board or for more information on tryouts.
Requirements/What to Bring:
- Must have personal insurance and bring a copy of your insurance card for our files (first clinic only).
- Must be 18 to be eligible to try out and bring a copy of your ID for our files (first clinic only).
- Must have quad skates and all safety gear (helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, mouth guard), no exceptions.
- Must bring athletic shoes for dryland workout.
- Water Bottle!
- SNACKS! You'll want some sustenance to get through this!
Minnesota Roller Derby welcomes skaters from other leagues provided that they meet a few conditions. This is a distilled version of our full transfer skater policy; for full details, please fill out our Transfer Inquiry Form.
During the Minnesota Roller Derby active season, transfer skaters may apply for transfer at any time and, if they meet the requirements listed below, may be voted onto the league at any time. The exception is if the transfer is requested between one month prior to our last home bout and the tryout date (both of which change each year). In this case, it will be up to the Department of Training to determine if the transfer skater should be required to attend tryouts, bootcamp, and/or be included in the annual draft.
- Letter of recommendation from captain, head ref, or coach that exhibits good standing with their previous league. (If you are unable to obtain this documentation, please email email@example.com as your transfer request may still be considered.)
- Must have been an active member of a league (need not be a WFTDA league) within the last 6 months for at least 6 months.
- Must resign from their former league before being considered for transfer.
- Must pass the WFTDA skills test and rules test.
- Can only be admitted to the league if there are openings on team rosters as defined by captain discretion.
- Must meet practice requirements for four weeks prior to the first bout once drafted to a team.
- Must skate a trial period of eight practices over three months (at least once with each home team).
- The league must officially vote in the transfer skater.
For All-Star Team Consideration:
We recognize that some skaters with considerable experience may move to Minnesota and be interested in being a part of our league. We have a solid, stable operation with a great venue and many member benefits ... we're proud of what we've built! For that reason, skaters with extensive experience may be considered for the All-Star team immediately. Skaters may be drafted to the All-Star team prior to home team placement
If you'll be traveling to Minnesota and would like to skate with us on a regular practice night as a visiting skater, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements. We welcome skaters from all over on a regular basis, and we'll just have a little paperwork for you to fill out prior to your arrival. Please note that our regular practice schedule is Tuesday/Thursday from 7:30-9:30pm and Sunday 6:00-8:00pm. If we are holding a league meeting during part of practice, we'll ask you to step out while we conduct our league's business.
Minnesota Roller Derby has a training program called the Windchill for skaters 18+. Whether you're looking for a recreational way of learning the sport or a competitive training challenge, the Windchill have something for you. There is no minimum skill requirement to join, just a positive attitude and willingness to learn! Learn More
Minnesota Frostbite is MNRD's competitive junior roller derby program. Our young athletes have the opportunity to enhance their skating, strategic-thinking, teamwork, and leadership skills in a supportive and empowering environment. Our tryout-based team practices twice a week and competes against other teams in the JRDA (Junior Roller Derby Association). We also coach drop-in skillwork sessions once a week, for youth ages 4-17 of all skating experience levels. For information on schedules, tryouts, and more, contact email@example.com.